Thursday, April 28, 2016

Songs 257-259

Today is my birthday and to celebrate I'm treating myself to some favorite songs of my youth.
Back in the day we had these things called cassette recorders. Before we even knew of such things as the interweb and piracy, we would make our own tapes of songs by recording them off of the radio. Even then the record companies felt threatened and for a brief time radio stations would play a brief ad in the middle of the song to discourage people making tapes of it. Never mind it irritated the bejeezus out of everyone listening.
But anyway, I had a cassette of songs I really enjoyed and there was a three song stretch that I particularly enjoyed and would play over and over and over and over and over. Those three songs are today's songs.
First was Eddy Grant's Electric Avenue (1982)

Next was Robert Hazard's Escalator of Life (1982). This song never got airplay where I lived so I was thrilled to have it on tape (keep in mind I was 11 and couldn't exactly run out and go shopping at the human mall and buy it).

Lastly is the greatest song of the 1980's, if not all time, Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners:

No comments:

Post a Comment